Regular visits to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist are very important if you've been diagnosed with a high-risk pregnancy. Dr. Robert Naef of Mississippi Maternal-Fetal Medicine in Jackson, MS, monitors conditions and diseases that affect your or your baby and offers treatments that may lower the risk of complications or pre-term birth.
What makes a pregnancy high risk?
You may be diagnosed with high-risk pregnancy if:
- You are pregnant with two or more babies.
- You are 35 or older.
- You've had abdominal or uterine surgeries in the past (including previous Cesarean sections).
- You have a chronic disease, such as diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney disease, lupus, and other autoimmune disorders, sickle cell disease, high blood pressure, blood-clotting disorder, or HIV/AIDS.
- You developed certain conditions during your pregnancy, such as gestational diabetes or preeclampsia.
- Your baby has birth defects or isn't growing properly.
- You have a history of pre-term labor.
- You smoke or use alcohol or illegal drugs during pregnancy.
What treatments are offered for high-risk pregnancies?
Your treatment plan is based on the factors that led your Jackson, MS, maternal-fetal specialist to decide to designate your pregnancy high-risk. For example, if you have gestational diabetes, you'll need to make a few changes to your diet to keep your blood sugar level at a normal level, exercise more and use insulin, in some cases. Failure to control gestational diabetes can increase your baby's weight and his or her risk of respiratory distress syndrome. It may also raise your risk of pre-term labor, high blood pressure or preeclampsia.
No matter what condition you or your baby have, you can expect to visit the doctor more often and undergo more tests than usual if you have a high-risk pregnancy. Depending on your specific complications, your doctor may use amniocentesis, high-resolution ultrasound, color flow Doppler, fetal echocardiography, and other tests to assess the health and development of your baby.
Although it can be a little scary to learn that you have a high-risk pregnancy, your maternal-fetal medicine specialist offers compassionate care and a variety of treatments that can help lower your risk of complications.
High-risk pregnancies warrant special care from a highly skilled maternal-fetal medicine specialist. Call Dr. Robert Naef of Mississippi Maternal-Fetal Medicine in Jackson, MS, at (601) 360-5651 to schedule your appointment.