Posts for tag: Medical Complications
Finding out you're pregnant is exciting. Dr. Robert Naef, III, your Jackson, MS, maternal-fetal medicine specialist wants to support you and your unborn child during your pregnancy.
Preparing for pregnancy is important. Your doctor's counseling consists of him creating a comprehensive treatment plan. Your Jackson doctor will go over your family's medical history to identify risk factors and/or pre-existing medical conditions for your specialized treatment plan.
Dr. Naef will have to adjust, or change, medicine you're taking, just in case it's harmful to your unborn child. He'll aslo recommend routine tests and provide vitamin supplements prior to conception.
Make sure you have done all the following with your doctor to minimize pregnancy complications:
- Nutritional counseling
- Pregnancy screenings
- Prenatal care
- Prenatal ultrasounds and screening
- Labor and delivery care
- Follow-up care after delivery, like birth control and postpartum counseling
What do you need to do during every trimester?
The first trimester should begin with doing the following:
- Standardized lab work and tests
- Specialized screening tests such as genetic testing.
- Answering questions you have about prenatal care
- Ultrasound exam to confirm pregnancy viability and confirm due date
The second trimester involves the following tests and exciting news:
- A 20-week ultrasound, to monitor the baby’s development and a look at the baby’s gender.
- A discussion about prenatal classes and classes on how to care for your newborn.
- Screening for gestational diabetes between 24 and 28 weeks.
- Registering at the hospital for your delivery and looking into pediatricians if you don’t already have one.
The bundle of joy is on their way and that means more visits to our office. During the third trimester we will:
- Review precautions you need to take.
- Do another routine test of Group B Strep culture.
- Evaluate your cervix.
- Discuss your delivery plans for anesthesia among other concerns you might have.
- Notify you about when to call with specific symptoms, or problems.
For more information on preparing for pregnancy schedule an appointment with your Jackson, MS, doctor by calling (201) 447-1700.